Pet laser therapy is a revolutionary treatment method for pets suffering from chronic pain and other conditions. It looks like something out of a science fiction movie, but it really works! It’s great for managing pain symptoms and facilitating healing.
What is Pet Laser Therapy?
During a session, the veterinarian will use a handheld device that emits an ultra-low frequency laser light. You, your pet and the vet will wear protective eye gear during the session. The vet applies the laser light to the painful spot on your pet’s body for a few minutes.
A lot of pet owners notice immediate improvement of their pet’s pain level after just one session. It usually takes several pet laser therapy treatments for more serious ailments. The treatment is non-invasive, pain-free, and medication-free.
Why Pet Laser Therapy Works
The reason why it works is because of a process called “photobiomodulation.” The laser light causes a specific reaction in your pet’s body that promotes cell growth and regeneration.
The following reactions take place in the affected parts of your pet’s body:
- Pain-reducing endorphins are released
- Better blood circulation, for cell oxygenation
- Muscle relaxation, for accelerated healing
- Reduction of inflammation
- Faster tissue repair
Uses of Pet Laser Therapy
Laser therapy’s primary use is in pain management for pets. It can benefit pets recovering from an injury or surgery, or pets with chronic, painful conditions like arthritis.
Veterinary medicine has limited treatment options when it comes to certain types of pets. Laser therapy has been of great benefit for these types of animals when they suffer from a painful condition:
- Exotic pets: Pain medications may be limited or impossible to administer to some exotic animals
- Cats: There are actually very few approved pain medicines for cats
- Senior pets: These pets sometimes have reduced organ function, which precludes them from taking pain medicines
- Animals with liver disease are unable to take regular medicines
Recovery & Chronic Conditions
Laser therapy can also be used in the treatment of many other conditions. Through the use of specific wavelengths of light (red and near-infrared), a therapeutic laser stimulates tissue repair and thus speeds healing and reduces pain. It can be used to treat:
- Acute & Chronic Conditions
- Wounds (Cuts, Bites, etc.)
- Post-Surgical Recovery
- Pain Management (from Arthritis, Hip Dysplasia, and more)
- Periodontal Disease
- and many other conditions!
Click here to learn more about how K-laser therapy can help your pet!
Contact Us about Pet Laser Therapy in Green Cove Springs, FL
If you have a pet suffering from a chronic condition, give us a call at Green Cove Animal Hospital. We will perform an exam of your pet’s condition and let you know whether it’s a good option for them! You can schedule an appointment with us by calling 904-284-5624.